About Me

My photo
I retired from the Auto Industry in the Detroit area and now make my home in sunny Arizona. I enjoy travel and photography. Although I often think of my photography as serendipitous; I really direct myself to places where those pleasant surprises are likely to occur. When I travel I call myself the "Happy Wanderer".

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Australia - Making Committments

I'm now in the process of fleshing out the details of my trip.  Up to now I just made reservations to Sydney and back along with a idea of what I'd like to do when I got there.  I don't know whether to commit and make reservations for the whole 5 weeks or to "go with the flow" as I'm travelling.  So I guess I will take the middle path and commit to the first week and then make further commitments for periods as I go.

So now I have a reservation from Sydney to Cairns arriving at 2:30 pm and reservations for 3 days at Travelers Oasis hostel, getting a Hertz rental, 2 days at Dougies Backpackers, 2 days at On The Wallaby hostel, then back for a day at Travelers Oasis.  During this time I'll try to see the highlights in the area like:
  1. The Great Barrier Reef
  2. Skyrail/Railway to Kuranda
  3. Crocodile farm and other tourist traps
  4. Rainforests, lakes, volcano craters, waterfalls, and other sites around the Atherton Tablelands Info  Tablelands Map
After that its likely on to Adelaide.  I should make that airline reservation before I leave.  The local airlines are another situation.  Checked baggage is limited to 44 pounds and costs extra.  Carryon baggage is limited to 22 pounds total.  There are many additional fees and taxes that are tacked on (including seat selection fee, charge card fee, and of course the deteriorating currency exchange rate).

No comments: