About Me

My photo
I retired from the Auto Industry in the Detroit area and now make my home in sunny Arizona. I enjoy travel and photography. Although I often think of my photography as serendipitous; I really direct myself to places where those pleasant surprises are likely to occur. When I travel I call myself the "Happy Wanderer".

Friday, May 9, 2014

Sightseeing in Scottsdale

On Tuesday, May 6, I took a solo trip to Scottsdale.  The weather was going to be great and there were a number of things that I thought would be interesting to see in the area.

The first stop was at the Penske Racing Museum.  This was located in an auto shopping mall sandwiched in between the Lamborghini, Jaguar, Bentley, and other premium car dealers.  There was no admission charge and it was a very first class facility.  There were about 2 dozen race vehicles, winners at many of the prestige race events.  Photography was allowed, except for those vehicles that had Marlboro sponsor ads on them (guess anything related to smoking is taboo these days).

The next stop was further south down Scottsdale Road at Cosanti, the gallery of Paolo Soleri who died in 2013.  The gallery is famous for the cast bronze bells, which are made at a small foundry on the site.  There are very unique structures here, many partially underground.  The bells and the buildings make for interesting photography.

A little further down Scottsdale Road is the Stillman Railroad Park.  I had been here recently, but thought I'd stop in to see if some of the additional features were open.  This is a great place to walk around and see the train related displays.

I then drove to downtown Scottsdale and parked at Nordstrom's.  There is a free trolley that stops by the main entrance.  I took it and enjoyed the sights along the way and got off at the Old Town area for lunch at the Sugar Bowl.  I walked around a bit there and then at the Civic Center Park which is a nice grassy area with fountains, statues, art work, and civic buildings.  There were hardly any people in the park that day, so it was a pleasant stroll with good photo opportunities.  I caught the trolley for a ride back to my car.  It was driven by Andre, the same driver as on my trip down.  He was very friendly and took time to explain the sights along the way.  I was the only one on the trolley so I received personal attention.

All in all a very nice day-trip.




























No comments: