About Me

My photo
I retired from the Auto Industry in the Detroit area and now make my home in sunny Arizona. I enjoy travel and photography. Although I often think of my photography as serendipitous; I really direct myself to places where those pleasant surprises are likely to occur. When I travel I call myself the "Happy Wanderer".

Monday, May 17, 2010

Day 4, May 16

DAY 4, MAY 16

1. Didn't get as cold last night. 50 degrees when I got up. Checked out of the campground around 7am.

2. Drove east along the GC rim and stopped at a few overlooks for photos along the way.

3. Stopped briefly at the Devil's Tower at the east end of the National Park. Several busloads of tourists arrived when I did so it was a bit busy around there. Had a picnic breakfast there.

4. Stopped at the Grand Canyon of the Little Colorado. Interesting but somewhat of a letdown after the big daddy canyon.

5. Arrived at Monument Valley around 3pm. Asked about their campground and they said it was a primitive campground for self contained units. It sounded like it would not be appropriate for me but I went there and took a look. I noticed a tent set up and drove over and talked to the people there. They were a couple from Vancouver who were driving around the USA in their minivan and tent camping along the way. They said they found the facility quite adequate for them. There were a couple of porta potties there but they said they used the bathroom at the visitor's center up the road. I looked around and it seemed like it would do the trick so I decided to stay here for the night. The campground is on a plateau overlooking the main formations of the valley. A lot of the RV's had a ring side seat of Monument Valley for $10 a night. I took a spot a little further back by a covered table next to the couple from Vancouver.

6. I signed up for a 2 1/2 hour sunrise jeep tour of Monument Valley--I'll be the only one on the tour with the Indian guide in a Jeep. Should get great sunrise photos there. The only problem is that there is a time change here so they will pick me up at my van at 5:20am! Guess I better get to bed now.

No comments: