About Me

My photo
I retired from the Auto Industry in the Detroit area and now make my home in sunny Arizona. I enjoy travel and photography. Although I often think of my photography as serendipitous; I really direct myself to places where those pleasant surprises are likely to occur. When I travel I call myself the "Happy Wanderer".

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Day 7, May 19

DAY 7, MAY 19

1. Left campground at 6am to get early morning views at Island in the Sky at Canyonlands National Park. Arrived there at 7am shortly after sunrise. Started at Grand View Overlook at the tip of the park. Then went to several other overlooks that had the best morning views.

2. Had a brief nap in the van then fixed coffee and oatmeal at the picnic area near Upheaval Dome. Took a short hike there up to the top of what looked like a crater with a salty, multicolored base.

3. Drove to Mesa Arch and took a short hike to the arch. This had a beautiful overlook through the arch to the canyon below. Nice place to take photos there, but had to work around all the people that wanted their picture taken sitting on the arch. (Of course they were all trying to work around me taking all my pictures).

4. Went to Shafer Canyon Overlook. This is the area where there is a steep, narrow, winding dirt road to the canyon below. It was used first by the Indians, then to drive cattle from the grazing land at top to the warmer canyon below, then by uranium mining trucks. It made an interesting pattern going around the cliffs sown to the bottom. At the parking area I noticed a raven sitting on a motorcycle--trying to think of a good title "Cycle Raven Maniac", "Crow-Pilot", or ???.

5. Drove to Dead Horse State Park. Nice overlooks to the canyon below. Fixed dinner at the picnic area. Took photos of the setting sun until 7pm and then drove back to the campground.

6. I noticed that every campground in the parks is full. I guess everyone wants to stay close to the center of attractions. Myself, I am getting to like the "luxury" private campgrounds with the creature comforts.

No comments: