About Me

My photo
I retired from the Auto Industry in the Detroit area and now make my home in sunny Arizona. I enjoy travel and photography. Although I often think of my photography as serendipitous; I really direct myself to places where those pleasant surprises are likely to occur. When I travel I call myself the "Happy Wanderer".

Saturday, May 15, 2010

May 14 Travel Blog

DAY 2, MAY 14

1. Up at the break of dawn and over to McDonalds for my breakfast, coffee, and internet.

2. Went through Sedona and then north along Oak Creek. Stopped at several spots for the view and to take pics. The morning sun lit up the cliffs and rock formations. Interesting photos along Slide Rock area where the creek flows over the red rocks.

3. Stopped in Flagstaff for gas and of course at Macs again for lunch and the internet.

4. Heading north of Flagstaff, I ran into some rain and temp dipped to 48 degrees. The mountain peaks were snow covered and in the clouds.

5. A little further up the road, I saw 2 horseback riders along with several other pack horses. The riders were grizzled and in buckskin and carryiing old rifles. The pack horses were loaded with extra gear. I asked them if I could take a few pictures. They obliged and said they were on a cross-country journey, started off in El Paso and heading up to Montana. They tried to stay on trails but had to go on roads when necessary. They asked me to email them some of the pics so I got their email addresses. I'll have to see if I can get more details from them on their journey. They said they were heading to the Grand Canyon -- nice if I could run into them again.

6. Stopped at the campground in Grand Canyon. They said all the sites were full but they checked their computer and found one cancellation that they let me have. They also found another cancellation for the next night but I'll have to move to another site. Not too difficult since I'm fully mobile.

7. Campground has nice showers so for $2 I got all freshened up.

8. Took the shuttle bus out to Yaki Point. Very nice views and the sun was in the right direction about 5pm to light up the canyon walls to the east.

9. Got the propane stove going and fixed myself some coffee and canned ravioli for dinner. May get down to the 20's tonite so I'll have to stay cozy in the sleeping bag.

No comments: