About Me

My photo
I retired from the Auto Industry in the Detroit area and now make my home in sunny Arizona. I enjoy travel and photography. Although I often think of my photography as serendipitous; I really direct myself to places where those pleasant surprises are likely to occur. When I travel I call myself the "Happy Wanderer".

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Back to Cairns–Sept. 20

Packed up early from “On The Wallaby”.  This was a very nice, clean, friendly hostel.

Took a few photos around Yungaburra, just a small quiet village.  Then drove back to Lake Barrine and took a  leisurely boat ride around the lake.  There is a Tea House on the lake with some beautiful flowers around it.  I had cappuccino and scones at the Tea House – very nice breakfast with a view from the veranda.

Then continued the trip back to Cairns.  The fuel gauge started blinking just after I left the lake.  It was a long way to a town with gas stations, luckily the whole trip was downhill.  I made it to a station in Gordonvale.  This town had a sugar cane factory in the middle of it with a lot of smoke coming out of the stack.  There was a sweet smell in the town from the sugar cane processing.  It was lunchtime so I stopped and had a beef pie from a local shop.  Very busy – all the locals came there for lunch.

Continued on to Cairns.  Saw McDonalds advertising free wifi.  I had been in a wifi dead zone for 2 days so I stopped and made use of their offer.  Called home using Skype and wished Ellen a happy birthday.

Stopped at the Esplanade in Cairns and walked around, taking a few photos of the activity there.  Then to the hostel to take care of my laundry prior to my flight to Adelaide in the morning.  Also spent time on the internet catching up on the news and doing my new posts.  Gotta get to bed early.  Up at 5 am to return the car and catch my flight.

















No comments: