About Me

My photo
I retired from the Auto Industry in the Detroit area and now make my home in sunny Arizona. I enjoy travel and photography. Although I often think of my photography as serendipitous; I really direct myself to places where those pleasant surprises are likely to occur. When I travel I call myself the "Happy Wanderer".

Monday, September 26, 2011

From Robe To Portland–Sept. 26

I took some photos of the hostel I stayed at.  I was virtually alone in this huge building.  There were 12 beds in the one room and I was the only one there.  But I slept well and warmed a can of spaghetti and some instant cappuccino for breakfast.

The next stop was Beachport, which had a long jetty going out into the bay.  There were also a few historical buildings there.

I drove to the town of Mt. Gambier.  This was a fair sized town with a lot of scenic attractions for visitors.  It was at the base of an old volcano crater than now housed 2 good sized lakes.  There were also a number of caves and sinkholes around the town – several of which they turned into terraced gardens that you could go down into.  I would have liked to spend more time but I had to keep moving on.

Arrived at the town of Portland and stopped at Safeway to pick up some groceries.  This is a large town with a lot of attractions that I’ll have to check out tomorrow.  There is also a Cape Nelson lighthouse here that is picturesque.

Arrived at Bellevue Backpackers for my night’s lodging.  This was a surprise.  From starting the day staying at a mansion, I now was to spend the night in an old, small travel trailer that was parked behind the house of the owners.  Olive and Harold, a couple in their 80’s showed me how things operated.  It is also a short distance away from a sheep pasture.  Actually the place is kind of cozy and again there is no one around for the night.  Oh well, I should sleep good tonite (as long as the sheep are quiet).














No comments: