About Me

My photo
I retired from the Auto Industry in the Detroit area and now make my home in sunny Arizona. I enjoy travel and photography. Although I often think of my photography as serendipitous; I really direct myself to places where those pleasant surprises are likely to occur. When I travel I call myself the "Happy Wanderer".

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Wining and Winding Around Adelaide–Sept. 24

I got my Hertz rental car (another Yaris) and headed north out of Adelaide to visit the Barossa Wine Valley.  Along the way there are always some interesting old church structures, so I have to stop, look, and photograph (from different angles).  The weather was mostly overcast with just a couple of sprinkles around.

The Barossa Valley has scores of wineries around – some simple and some very fancy.  The grape vines were just starting to get green – there sure were a lot of them in the area.  The area started out in the town of Grawler, which was layed out by the same guy that layed out Adelaide (Col. Light).  There was an area called Church Hill that contained all the various congregations in one area.  Then the road winded around the various settlements – English, German, Scotch – all having the wineries around them.  Some of hillsides were very pretty with some of the flowers just starting to bloom.

I spent so much time sightseeing that I started to run short of time so had to hustle at the end and had to skip some of the sights on the way back.  The road got very narrow and winding and I took a few wrong turns along the way – the area was not very well marked with directions and the roads were too narrow to be checking the map.  As it was, I got back to the hostel just after dark.















No comments: