About Me

My photo
I retired from the Auto Industry in the Detroit area and now make my home in sunny Arizona. I enjoy travel and photography. Although I often think of my photography as serendipitous; I really direct myself to places where those pleasant surprises are likely to occur. When I travel I call myself the "Happy Wanderer".

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Port Campbell to Apollo Bay–Sept. 28

Left Port Campbell and stopped at Loch Ard Gorge and the Twelve Apostles again.  Wanted to see the views from the morning sun.  There was no sun out this morning – overcast.  But the views were still spectacular and I did get to stop at a few different viewpoints.

Continued along the Great Ocean Road, although most of the trip was inland, away from the coast and into the forest and hills.  Went to Cape Otway National Park.  This is the site of the most famous lighthouse in Australia.  Paid the admission and went into the park area, which included access to the lighthouse.  Climbed to the top of the lighthouse and had a great view, although it was still overcast and dreary.  After I got down from the lighthouse it started to rain, so I hurried back to the car.

In the part there is a huge grove of eucalyptus trees.  When you looked carefully in the trees you could see the koala bears.  There must have been hundreds of them.  They are all very still with a few of them munching on leaves, but most of them just sleeping.

Continued back on the road to Apollo Bay.  It was still raining, so I picked a hostel for the nite.  I chose the Surfside Backpackers.  It was really a nice place with good facilities and friendly people.  Fortunately there was a laundry here, so I got a chance to catch up on a week’s worth of dirty clothes.












No comments: