About Me

My photo
I retired from the Auto Industry in the Detroit area and now make my home in sunny Arizona. I enjoy travel and photography. Although I often think of my photography as serendipitous; I really direct myself to places where those pleasant surprises are likely to occur. When I travel I call myself the "Happy Wanderer".

Monday, September 19, 2011

Travelling to Yungaburra–Sunday 9/18

Checked out of Dougies.  Stopped at an old structure in Mount Molloy and took photos.  I asked at a store nearby and found out it was a furnace used to provide steam power for lumbering operations about 100 years ago.  It was interesting that there was a tree that was growing right through the brick building.   Next stop in Mareeba at an Info center to gather up scenic sight possibilities.  A number of roadkill kangaroos along the way.  Also quite a few objects in the fields that I first thought were boulders but found out were termite mounds, about 3 feet high and shaped like boulders – I did not stop and kick em to find out.

South of Mareeba was an old WWII war museum.  It was housed in an old airport hangar.  Most of the exhibits were airplanes, vehicles, engines, and miscellaneous parts used in the war.  They were mostly in poor condition and looked like they had been rescued from the scrap heap.

Going through the town of Atherton, I noticed this Chinese temple set in an open field that used to be a ChinaTown back in the gold rush days in the late 1800’s.  All the other buildings had been demolished but the temple still remained.

Travelled to Herberton where they had a first class historical place called Herbertown Historical Village.  This was like an Outback Greenfield Village (Dearborn, Michigan).  There were numerous historical buildings from around the area that had been moved and reconditioned here.  It was not very crowded and the buildings and their contents were very interesting.

Nearby, in Herberton was an old convent that was an interesting structure.  Next to it was an old Catholic church that looks like it had been relocated, reconditioned, and placed on steel piers.  Looked very incongruous for such an old church.

Drove through to Yungaburra and checked in at the “On The Wallaby Lodge”.  This is an interesting hostel – very clean and I had their Aussie BBQ dinner.  I’ll have to take photos tomorrow.















No comments: