About Me

My photo
I retired from the Auto Industry in the Detroit area and now make my home in sunny Arizona. I enjoy travel and photography. Although I often think of my photography as serendipitous; I really direct myself to places where those pleasant surprises are likely to occur. When I travel I call myself the "Happy Wanderer".

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Along the Heritage Highway To Launceston–Oct. 9

The rain poured hard at night but it was sunny and clear in the morning.  I took the Heritage Highway north to Launceston.  This highway goes through a number of towns built in the mid 1800’s that were faming communities.  Many of the buildings, churches, and bridges along the way were constructed using convict labor.  In the town of Oatlands, there is a large windmill used to grind flour.

Launceston is the second largest city in Tasmania.  In town there is a famous attraction called Cataract Gorge.  There are very steep cliffs going down to a small river below.  There is a suspension bridge built across the gorge for foot traffic.  An alternate way across the gorge is a cable chair lift, said to have the longest span in the world.  Launceston is located on a large navigable river (Tamar River) that goes a long way to the ocean. 

I checked into the Launceston Backpackers Hostel which is a large Victorian brick building.  I have a 3 bed dorm and am the only occupant.  Looks like it should be a nice stay for 2 days.
















2 comments:

Ellen said...

Where's your hat when you took the Mt. Wellington picture? LOL

Ellen said...

Glad you made the post comments section workable!

Have fun ...