About Me

My photo
I retired from the Auto Industry in the Detroit area and now make my home in sunny Arizona. I enjoy travel and photography. Although I often think of my photography as serendipitous; I really direct myself to places where those pleasant surprises are likely to occur. When I travel I call myself the "Happy Wanderer".

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Doing The Tamar River Circuit–Oct. 10

It was nice and sunny this morning.  I got up and started down by the shore at Launceston.  Then started to drive and noticed a McDonald’s so I stopped for a breakfast treat and access to wifi.  Drove up the east coast of the Tamar River and enjoying the views and old churches along the way.  I got up to George Town around noon and the rain started.  The rain continued throughout the rest of the trip up to about 5pm.  This limited my touring and photo taking as it was not too pleasant or picturesque in the rain and wind.

I did manage to get a quick walk around the colorful lighthouse at Low Head, on the northern shore of Tasmania along the Bass Strait.  There were some other nice views around there but not with the weather conditions.  I traveled back down the Tamar River and crossed at Batman Bridge, about halfway down, onto the west shore of the river.  Again, very little chance to really soak in the scenery (I did get soaked though).

Got back to Launceston around 5 pm and rested up in my room.  About 6 pm the rain let up, so I went out and checked out the Kings Bridge at the Cataract Gorge.  It was very cool looking and some interesting history.  Just reading some of the plaques, it was built in 1863 and was somehow assembled on pontoons, then moved into place at high tide and lowered into place a low tide.  I’d like to find out more how they really did that.  Anyway, I walked around the footpath of the gorge, admiring the bridge until the rain started coming down again.  That ended my day’s adventure.




















No comments: