About Me

My photo
I retired from the Auto Industry in the Detroit area and now make my home in sunny Arizona. I enjoy travel and photography. Although I often think of my photography as serendipitous; I really direct myself to places where those pleasant surprises are likely to occur. When I travel I call myself the "Happy Wanderer".

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Walking The Bridge–Oct. 16

I decided to walk across the Harbour Bridge today to see how Sydney looked from the other side.  Bridge walking is very popular, especially today as they had closed several lanes for a biking day and then there was also something called a Buddy Walk.  Then there were numerous joggers and also gawkers like yours truly who just admires the scenery and stops to take pictures and plugs up the walking traffic.  The view was great from the other side.  There was also an amusement park called Luna Park where the admission is free and just pay for the rides.
Walking back across the bridge seemed longer as there was more foot traffic and the sun was warmer.  I also noticed a group of bridge climbers who pay to go along the upper structure of the bridge, with their special uniforms and gear – I did not partake in that.
After a brief rest back at the hostel, I got on the free bus and took it to Paddy’s market, which is a HUGE flea market with hundreds of vendors near Chinatown.  I bought 2 nice looking Australian polo shirts.  Walking a bit, I went to Queen Victoria Building, an arcade-like shopping mall with interesting architectural features inside.  Then back on the bus back to the hostel.
I went out for a while at dusk.  There must have been a fire at the wharf restaurant where the cruise ship was parked yesterday.  There were numerous emergency vehicles around.  They were pumping water in the building and all the patrons and staff were all congregating out in the street.  Went back to the hostel and admired the waterfront in the dark from the outdoor terrace.  The opera house exterior was lit up.

























1 comment:

Ellen said...

Love the city pictures!