About Me

My photo
I retired from the Auto Industry in the Detroit area and now make my home in sunny Arizona. I enjoy travel and photography. Although I often think of my photography as serendipitous; I really direct myself to places where those pleasant surprises are likely to occur. When I travel I call myself the "Happy Wanderer".

Friday, October 14, 2011

Huon Valley–Oct. 14

After yesterday’s long ride into the mountains, I decided to stay closer to sea level.  I drove thru the Huon Valley, south of Hobart.  The trip was mostly through fishing and boating areas, with a few hillside fruit farms thrown in.  These were in large rivers that emptied into the ocean.  The day started off with fog in the area but then cleared up later in the morning.  Later in the afternoon the wind picked up and the waters were rougher.  I ended up the day near the Shot Tower around Hobart.  I figured I could climb to the top but got there after they closed for the day.  Somehow a “shot tower” was used to make lead shot for the early firearms by dropping molten lead from the top of a tower into water at the bottom.  There are a number of them around in Australia, now used as tourist attractions.  Got back to the hostel and need to pack for the flight to Sydney in the morning.















No comments: