About Me

My photo
I retired from the Auto Industry in the Detroit area and now make my home in sunny Arizona. I enjoy travel and photography. Although I often think of my photography as serendipitous; I really direct myself to places where those pleasant surprises are likely to occur. When I travel I call myself the "Happy Wanderer".

Friday, October 14, 2011

Gordon Dam–Oct. 13

On the recommendation of someone at the hostel, I decided to drive to Gordon Dam.  Gordon Dam is the biggest dam in Australia.  The trip was long (about 200 miles round trip) and very, very, narrow and winding roads with hardly any traffic.  The first part of the trip was scenic with farms, orchards, and rivers.  But the majority of the trip was driving through a forest.  At the end of the trip it opened up into an alpine setting with lakes and mountains.

Gordon dam was impressive (not as big as Hoover Dam).  The thing that really amazed me was that no one was there.  I had the whole dam thing to myself.  There were steel stairs down to the top of the dam and you could walk on the top of it from one end to the other.  It was a bit dizzy but I held on tightly to the handrails.  That’s the one thing I found out about Australia – most of the sights and attractions are relatively open for people to walk around and explore.  In the USA, they would be fenced off and only viewable from platforms from a safe distance.  Here, you can get as close to the action as you dare.

So the trip was rewarding but very tiring – the return route was the same as the start.  The hostel was a welcome sight and I was ready to call it a night.















1 comment:

Sandi said...

Absolutely stunning photos, Bill. Very enjoyable!