About Me

My photo
I retired from the Auto Industry in the Detroit area and now make my home in sunny Arizona. I enjoy travel and photography. Although I often think of my photography as serendipitous; I really direct myself to places where those pleasant surprises are likely to occur. When I travel I call myself the "Happy Wanderer".

Sunday, April 5, 2009

New Zealand Day 3 -- April 5, Sunday

Notes from travel from Coromandel Town to Hahei:
 
1. Time change this AM.  Moved clock back 1 hour.  Earlier sunrise and sunset.
 
2. Took road 309 toward Whitianga.  Part gravel (and of course winding and narrow).
 
3. Planned to stop at the Waiau Waterworks Park but got there too early -- not open.
 
4. Stopped at Waiau Falls -- secluded and pretty.
 
5. Arrived in Whitianga around 9:30am.  They were having the Festival of Speed this weekend.  Town streets were blocked off for activities.  There were a number of classic cars parked in the street.  There was a motorcycyle stunt driver performing.  I had front row viewing.  There were also airplane flyovers.
 
6. I checked in early at the Tatahi Lodge hostel in Hahei -- very new, modern, and clean.  Room cost $15 US per nite -- great bargain.  Nice kitchen and lounging area.  Also finally got an internet connection.
 
7. Walked on beach.  Had a giant burger at local pub.

No comments: