About Me

My photo
I retired from the Auto Industry in the Detroit area and now make my home in sunny Arizona. I enjoy travel and photography. Although I often think of my photography as serendipitous; I really direct myself to places where those pleasant surprises are likely to occur. When I travel I call myself the "Happy Wanderer".

Monday, April 13, 2009

Notes: New Zealand Trip Day 11 -- April 13

1. Drove north from Paihia past Kerikeri then turned off the main highway toward the coast.  Very picturespue cattle and sheep area.
 
2. There were a lot of small islands offshore and also a rocky coast with a lot of overlooks.
 
3. Arrived in Whangaroa, a marlin fishing village.  There was a hilltop called St. Pauls Rock with a walking path to the top.  I decided to climb it.  It was very steep and grassy most of the way up.  There were not good footholds to walk in and would have been impossible to climb if wet.  Got to within 30 feet to the top when the path changed to a steep rocky trail with chain on the side to pull yourself up.  This was a little too much for me so I decided I was up high enough.  The view was spectacular though.  The descent down was even harder than the climb up.
 
4. Drove further to the other side of the harbour where there was another small fishing village.

No comments: