About Me

My photo
I retired from the Auto Industry in the Detroit area and now make my home in sunny Arizona. I enjoy travel and photography. Although I often think of my photography as serendipitous; I really direct myself to places where those pleasant surprises are likely to occur. When I travel I call myself the "Happy Wanderer".

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Notes: New Zealand Day 6 -- April 8

1. Departed hostel in Whangamata around 7am.  Had my typical hostel breakfast of peanut butter and jelly toast, fruit cup, and coffee.
 
2. Arrived in Waihi around 8am.  Walked around the Martha gold Mine -- an operating open pit gold mine.  Old pumphouse structure still standing.  Light rain started.
 
3. Parked outside of Information Center while it rained.  Picked up wi-fi signal in my car so used computer and Skype to place call to home.
 
4. Went to the Waihi Waterlily Gardens.  Unfortunately it was late in the season so most of the blooms were gone.  Otherwise a very beautiful place.
 
5. Travelled thru the Karangahake Gorge.  A lot of gold mining was done there around 1875.  Now all that remains are some of the ruins and tunnels.  A walking track now goes thru it.  I walked for about an hour on the track, crossing several suspensions bridges and going thru old railway tunnels -- good thing I had my flashlight with me..
 
6. Visited the Ngatea Water Gardens.  Kind of quaint but did not spend a lot of time there.
 
7. Ended the day at the Miranda Shorebird Centre.  Got a dorm room there for the nite--I was the only one in the room with 6 beds.  Only 2 other people there.  Very secluded but a nice facility.  Took a walk at sunset to the shoreline and watched the birds come in.

No comments: