About Me

My photo
I retired from the Auto Industry in the Detroit area and now make my home in sunny Arizona. I enjoy travel and photography. Although I often think of my photography as serendipitous; I really direct myself to places where those pleasant surprises are likely to occur. When I travel I call myself the "Happy Wanderer".

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Notes: Australia Day 1 -- April16

1. Trip form NZ to Australia was uneventful but tiring with the return of the rental car, waiting at the airport, going thru customs, finding transportation into Sydney, and checking into the Sydney Central YHA.  The YHA is huge, like a large hotel, and is near the middle of town with city bus service just outside.
 
2. Got an early start in the morning and took a bus to the Circular Quay, where all the ferry boats leave from.  It was also close to the Sydney Opera House, which was high on my list to see.  The Opera House was nice but I was a bit disappointed.  It has a great setting right on the harbor but I feel that the Walt Disney Concert Hall in LA has a lot more visual appeal.  I won't tell that to any Aussie though.
 
3. I then walked through the Botanic Gardens -- really huge.  Then through St. Marys Cathedral and through Hyde Park and continued back to the YHA.  My legs were tired after this so I rested a bit.
 
4. After a brief rest I hopped back on the bus and went back to the Quay.  I wanted to see the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge at dusk.  I walked quite a bit around the harbour and "The Rocks" area.  The area was a lot nicer at dusk than it was in the morning.  Took the bus back to the YHA.
 
5. Touring through Sydney was a lot different than sightseeing in the small fishing villages in New Zealand.  It really is a busy city with a lot of people walking (and running) around.  It reminded me a lot of the hustle and bustle in New York.  Looking forward to touring with the car in the more remote areas.  One more day in Sydney though.

No comments: