About Me

My photo
I retired from the Auto Industry in the Detroit area and now make my home in sunny Arizona. I enjoy travel and photography. Although I often think of my photography as serendipitous; I really direct myself to places where those pleasant surprises are likely to occur. When I travel I call myself the "Happy Wanderer".

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

NZ Trip Notes Day 5, April 7

1. Checked out of Tatahi Lodge.  Very few people there last nite.  I was the only one in the room with 6 beds.
 
2. 7:30am.  Walked up a "pa" (Maori hilltop fort) just out of Hahei.  Nice overlook of town and beach.
 
3. Arrived in Tairua at 9am-around low tide.  Walked along a rocky beach with various shells exposed by the receding water.
 
4. Nearby was another "pa" called Paku.  It was a short but steep climb to the top.  Spectacular view of the beach and harbor.
 
5. Walked around beach and wharf in Whangamata.  Had fish and chips for lunch.  Took pics of surfers from the beach, rising tide got my shoes wet while I was distracted.  Checked into South Pacific hostel.  Very quiet.  Looks like I will be the only one in the room for the night.  Good internet connection.  Got a chance to telephone Ellen using my Skype service over the internet -- cool -- lot less expensive (at 2 cents a minute) than using the phone line (or my cell phone at a cost of $3 per minute).

No comments: