About Me

My photo
I retired from the Auto Industry in the Detroit area and now make my home in sunny Arizona. I enjoy travel and photography. Although I often think of my photography as serendipitous; I really direct myself to places where those pleasant surprises are likely to occur. When I travel I call myself the "Happy Wanderer".

Friday, April 24, 2009

Notes: Australia Days 8 and 9 -- April 23 and 24

1. Traveled from the lush, green coastal area, thru the mountains, to the arid grasslands around Canberra.
 
2. Checked into the Victor Lodge.  Got a double bed with a sink -- toilet and shower down the hall,  real comfy tho and breakfast in the morning.
 
3. Streets of Canberra very confusing and busy.  Laid out in a geometric pattern with lots of circles and grids, and rounds at intersections, and an elongated lake separating the city with several bridges crossing over.  I kept missing the correct turns at the rounds so had to go turn around and try again while looking at my map and trying to keep left.  The Canberra motorists will be glad to see me gone.  They are very friendly though, they kept waving at me whenever they passed me.
 
4. Did a lot of walking around the government buildings and monuments and toured the museum and art gallery.  Some of the buildings were very interesting but others were very drab.  The war memorial was in a very prominent location.  ANZAC Day (Australia New Zealand Army Corp) (similar to our Memorial Day) is tomorrow, so there was lots of preparation going on for that.
 
5. Leaving early in the morning to travel to Katoomba and the Blue Mountain region.  Should be very pretty there and a bit cooler -- hope the rain stays away.

No comments: