About Me

My photo
I retired from the Auto Industry in the Detroit area and now make my home in sunny Arizona. I enjoy travel and photography. Although I often think of my photography as serendipitous; I really direct myself to places where those pleasant surprises are likely to occur. When I travel I call myself the "Happy Wanderer".

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Notes From New Zealand Trip -- Day 8 -- April 10

1. Started the day going to a nearby overlook with a good view of Whangarei and the harbor.
 
2. It was a short drive to Abbey Caves.  Had to walk about 20 minutes thru a field to get there.  The scenery then changed to a dark, rocky, wooded area.  There was a large cave descending down thru the rocks.  Since I was alone, I decided it was not a good idea to proceed any further so I just took a few photos.
 
3. While walking back from the cave, I noticed a sign "Rock Forest".  My curiousity was aroused so I went there and entered an eerie area of large rock formations -- like going into a prehistoric time period  There was also a solitary grave of a 2 year old child -- with a white picket fence around it -- very strange.
 
4.  Also in the area was Whangarei Falls -- very high and impressive.  It had a nice walkway from the top to the bottom of the falls.  There was also a walkway through some large kauri trees.
 
5. Arrived in Paihia -- very nice seaside resort.  Checked into Saltwater Hostel -- excellent.  It was a roomy suite with 4 beds and a separate bathroom and fridge in the room.
 
6. Walked along the harbor and shoreline in Paihia -- very pretty.

No comments: