About Me

My photo
I retired from the Auto Industry in the Detroit area and now make my home in sunny Arizona. I enjoy travel and photography. Although I often think of my photography as serendipitous; I really direct myself to places where those pleasant surprises are likely to occur. When I travel I call myself the "Happy Wanderer".

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Notes: Australia Day 13 -- April 28

1. Went back to the Pulpit Rock overlook where there were 70mph wind gusts on Sunday.  The gusts had diminished to 50mph today so I went all the way out onto the overlook.  Thank goodness for the handrails so I could hang on tight.  Nice view but no reason to stay and linger -- besides, it started to sprinkle.  While I was recuperating back in the car, I spotted another kangaroo hopping around.
 
2. Not far from the overlook in the town of Blackheath, there was a Rhododendron Garden.  Walked around there for awhile.  Very nice area with lots of pathways, ponds, and color.  Would be very nice in spring when the rhodies were in bloom.
 
3. Drove to Mt. Wilson, very nice area with lots of gardens.  A lot of the trees here were deciduous, so there was a lot of color and leaves on the ground.  There was also a walk down to a waterfall -- it was a rainforest area.  About an hour walk with a lot of up and down -- wheew.
 
4. Drove to Mt. Tomah Botanical Gardens.  Very extensive and lovely.  Lots of different shrubs, flowers, and trees.  I was surprised at how much was still in bloom at this time of the year (mid-autumn).
 
5. Drove directly to the Hawkesberry Heights YHA hostel.  What a surprise.  Had a hard time finding it.  I had made a Google map with the location shown, but it wasn't there.  I drove further up a winding hill for a couple more miles looking for a YHA sign while the traffic kept piling up behind me -- stopped a couple of times to let them go by.  I finally found it as it was getting dark -- just barely marked and up a long winding dirt drive, but it was locked and no one was there.  I finally found a nearby house with the caretaker for the place.  There was a bag with my name, linen and a key on the porch.  So I proceeded back to the building and made myself at home.  Interesting place, like a large cabin in Northern Michigan.  Looks like I will be alone in the place tonite.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: